Tuesday 24 January 2012

Touch down in Ghana: UniBreak Education Placement

Hello from Ghana! Happy 2012 to you all! Here's to the beginning of an awesome year.

I don't know even where to start! This country is an incredible place. From the moment I arrived I've needed to pinch myself regularly; it doesn't feel real. Its amazing how comfortable you can feel in a foreign country, and how easy it is to forget your colour. I saw a white man yesterday while walking along the road and it took me by complete surprise. I am loving every minute in this hot, humid, chaotic country. I don't know if I want to leave...

I was picked up from the airport by a young man called Bright who guided me through the chaos that is Accra airport, and safely into a cab. I lost track of the number of near misses made by our taxi driver - the 'roads' (if that's what you can call them) are ridiculously busy, with cars going every direction and with nothing signposted, not even speed limits. I gasped in horror at one near miss and Bright just laughed. I just told myself to breathe, to just go with it, and I am loving every moment since. I actually cannot wipe the smile from my face!

I woke on my first morning to a cacophony of sounds - roosters, horns, singing, traffic, Jesus blaring on the radio... I met Tina, my 'big, black African mother,' (as she calls herself) and was immediately pulled into a hug. She is absolutely lovely - genuine, happy and goes out of her way to ensure I am having a good time. She really is my African mother! I've been on my own at the hostel for three days, just catching up on sleep and going into town with Bright and Tina. Accra is chaotic - very little infrastructure or order. Everyone has a mobile phone and hipster clothes but not always a home. It came as quite a shock initially. The western influences here are obnoxiously obvious - huge billboards placed in the middle of slum areas, advertising American products. I'm trying desperately not to be too cynical, but it is everywhere, and makes me quite angry when the level of need is so high.

The people are generally very friendly, and love it when you say hello. 'Obruni!' they chant, meaning 'white person.' The children will often keep singing it even when you're out of sight. The men are awfully persistent; they all want a white wife! I wear a ring on my middle finger on my left hand and Bright assumed it meant I was married. And if not married, then it was promise ring. 'Not a promise ring? Then it must be from your boyfriend. It's not? But you have a boyfriend right? No?' Haha, it made for quite a hilarious exchange. Bright and I have become good friends - he's taken on the role of my protector, always checking in on me and making sure I am ok. And then there is Samuel, the company driver. He made his intentions known from day one. He has already proposed to me, every day referring to me as his future white wife. Its a little overwhelming at times to be honest, but I just laugh and wave him away. Apparently, this is just a taste of what is to come! They are harmless proposals and I know when to be stronger with my refusals (that's for you Mum and Dad!).

Some of the other Antipodean girls arrived yesterday and they took us to a place called Big Milly's Beach House for Reggae Night. IT. WAS. AMAZING. Situated by the beach and surrounded by coconut trees, the beach house serves as an oasis for travelers and locals alike. There we met a couple of Americans and another Aussie (from Brisbane!), so you can imagine what ensued. Lots of laughter and dancing. The Africans own the dance floor! Particularly the men. It was rare that any of us were without an African dancing partner, and damn, they are good! It was almost embarrassing dancing with them! We returned to the hostel in the early hours of the morning, having had the most incredible night.

Today more volunteers arrive from Germany, Switzerland and Sweden. On Monday we begin orientation - dance and drumming lessons, a tour of Accra and a lesson in Ghanian culture. On Thursday we are taken to our placements in Swedru - I can't wait! The girls I'm staying with in Swedru are both from Brisbane and are rad. One actually lives down the road in Bardon! Small, small world.

This is really all I have time for. But know that I am safe and well! Thank you again to all of you for your support and encouragement - I still can't quite believe that I made it here, and so much of it is thanks to all of you. My next update will most likely be in a weeks time. In the meantime, my Ghanian number is +233 0200 144 573 . It's a little unreliable at times, so don't be offended if I don't reply! Email is still best.

Hope you are all well. With love form Africa,

Ro x

No comments:

Post a Comment